Mental illnesses touch so many lives. While many people in our society don’t want to admit they have a problem, the troubles they feel are indeed real. Though, with the flash of a smile, most can hide their pain. And many do, refusing to admit to themselves, and to the rest of the world, that they have a problem and need help.
Celebrities do the same thing. We are all human, and it hurts us to expose our perceived “weaknesses” to others. Imagine telling your mom you suffer from depression. Now, enlarge this to millions and millions of people, and you get an idea of how hard it is for celebrities to talk about their issues. Add in the stigma that still surrounds issues like mental illness and you have a situation that can be terribly difficult to navigate.
Listed below are the 15 celebrities you may not know once suffered, or still suffer from a mental illness of some kind. Some of the celebrities on this list may surprise you, but just remember: We all go through hard times. Some of us just choose to hide it better than others.
10. J.K. Rowling — Depression
9. Jean-Claude Van Damme — Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder
8. Kurt Cobain — Depression, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Bipolar Disorder
7. Elton John — Bulimia
6. Winona Ryder — Anxiety, Depression
5. Jim Carrey — Depression, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
4. John Nash — Paranoid Schizophrenia
3. Marlon Brando — Depression
2. Howard Hughes — Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
1. DMX — Bipolar Disorder
Thanks for Subscribing! :)